"I can't understand why more people haven't added you as a favorite. You are one rad fucker!" -- uridium15, diaryland

Saturday, February 11, 2006

"Spreading" the Word of Playboy...

Apparently, an attempt to launch an Indonesian version of Playboy magazine is causing protests from Muslims in Jakarta.

Not really surprising. After all, isn't the world on the verge of collapse because of some Danish idiot's mediocre comic-strip? Hey, Beetle Bailey never caused this much shit - that's all I'm saying.

What does kinda shock me is that somebody had the audacity to publish Playboy in the world's most populous Muslim nation to begin with. I mean, come on, who's honestly gonna buy a mag with a centerfold spread featuring a woman raising her Burka to show a little toe?

(that was a joke - please don't sanction my country).

To be honest, the businessman behind this idea has said he never intended to show nudity in the first place. So I'm thinking...why are you naming the magazine Playboy then, Hef? Isn't that a bit of false advertising? That's like publishing a magazine called Barely 18 and publishing photos of girls who are...you know, Way Over 18.

Wait. Um, maybe that's not such a good example.

Anyhow, my point...well, I'm not sure. Only that in some regards I understand and empathize with the Muslim conservative view that...hmm, ya know, maybe some of the western world's contributions to the world aren't exactly fitting for every culture around the world....like say...McDonald's and movies starring Rob Schneider.

Would I expect Deuce Bigalow to be accessible to some bushman from the Kalahari desert? Hell, I hardly understand that piece of cinematic shite. So too, I don't really expect conservative Muslims, ingrained in the belief of their religion and principles, to accept and admire the beauty of the exhibitionist display of a beautiful woman's you know...hooters. See, I like to look at it in a rather pragmatic, if not selfish manner...

...more for me then.

I certainly don't condone any sort of violence (as we have seen in the Danish cartoon protests) but surely, if you don't want Playboy in your neighborhood, say so. It's your right as much as it is the right of every citizen to make efforts to publish Playboy if they want to. Just please, don't bomb the Playboy mansion. Not before I make a visit first anyway. I have dreams you know...

Oh, by the way, there is another option. Just don't buy the magazine. You know, it's a little like religion. Just because Christianity may exist in your nation, it don't mean you gotta go to the church.

Hell knows I don't .