"I can't understand why more people haven't added you as a favorite. You are one rad fucker!" -- uridium15, diaryland

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Not That I'm Complaining...

Watching Toronto's Gay Pride Parade today, I couldn't help but notice that people will most certainly do anything for beads.

I'm not sure what it is but people will risk falling off rooftops, out of trees and tackle eachother for anyone taunting them with cheap, plastic neck jewellery.

Women are the worst offenders. Many of them will unflinchingly flash their breasts for the prospect of these beads. Yet, if I walk up to these same girls any other day and offer them a few dollars to see their chest, suddenly I find myself rolling around the garden screaming with a shot of mace in my eyes. Is there something I'm missing?

After all, these are worthless novelty toy bead necklaces, no? They're not real jewellery to be worn. I mean, atleast it's not like I ever see people in public wearing these cheap necklaces otherwise. One night the seemingly placid office secretary is screaming and flashing her breasts to hundreds of men atop a parade float for beads, the next day, she's back sporting a baggy sweater with no sign of her prize jewellery.

Which brings to mind - where do all these beads go the day after Mardi Gras or Gay Pride Parade? Are they in safe keeping somewhere? Did I miss the memo where Nostradamus prophecized that the economy will fail and money will become useless in the next 5 years, and that the only manner of currency in the new world will be these fake plastic beads?

I kinda like to hope so. Because surely there are better reasons for women to flash their breasts.

After all, I say everyday is a celebration...