"I can't understand why more people haven't added you as a favorite. You are one rad fucker!" -- uridium15, diaryland

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Death By Semantics


It always bugs me when someone's referred to as dying of "natural causes". Isn't that a bit too vague for you? I mean, we all die by natural causes, don't we?

What isn't dying of a natural cause? If someone pops 25 sleeping pills, downs a 40 ouncer of Jack Daniels, snorts a mountain of cocaine and then dies, well...I'd have to say that is a pretty natural cause of death. In fact, if they didn't die, I'd have to say its a pretty unnatural way to survive. I would only expect you to die after doing that much blow and booze.

Hell, dying is a natural cause, isn't it? It's a natural cause of life. It's a natural cause of being stabbed in the heart with a knife pen. Or jumping off 40-storey building 'cause ya dropped yer hat. Or just attempting to sprint head down across a busy superhighway on a dare. In fact, what exactly would be considered an unnatural way to die - being turned to stone after seeing Medusa? Being devoured in the middle of the night by a bunch of goblins? Hey, heres a topical one - being stomped on by a giant ape while visiting Times Square?

Seems to me, that'd be kinda an unnatural cause of death. I wonder what they'd call that.